Sunday, February 27, 2011

Communication

Communication is the key to any relationship. In the work place, with significant others, with friends and family.

And contrary to popular belief, I am not a mind reader. So, in the work place, if you need something or would like me to get something done, all you have to do is ask-with ACTUAL WORDS. Coming into my work area and writing a fruit name on a box and walking out of the room, means absolutely nothing to me. Would you some of that fruit, would you like me to order some, want me to send it back or would you like to to chuck some at your head as you give me that stupid look like I should know what you're talking about.

The same goes with significant others. I am not a physic. If you decide that this evenings plans are not going to happen you actually have to tell me. And don't get upset because you made a decision but didn't tell anyone but yourself. Likewise, if you decide that you don't want to see me anymore, you actually have to tell me that too. ACTUAL WORDS seem to get your point across much better than having someone guess.

Being a poor communicator just means you're a coward. Confrontation may not be something that you want; however, if you want something done, you have communicate with others. To run a successful business you can't keep your associates guessing what you want and if they don't do something to your liking then you need to explain to them what it is and how to make it better. If you want to have a successful relationship with someone you have to be able to tell them how you feel without apologizing for feeling that way and if there is a problem, you have to be able to work it out together or move on alone.

Tip for the Day: Use ACTUAL WORDS. Or pictures if that's better, but saying and doing nothing gets nothing done.

No comments:

Post a Comment