Saturday, November 13, 2010

The M

After a month working at the M, the Island Boss took some much needed time off leaving the fate of the hotel to me. You wouldn't think that ordering, taking inventory, stocking items, loading and unloading while being everyone's bitch for a week would be that hard...actually it is.

Since I had actually never called in an order it was a learning process to begin with. On top of not knowing the actual names of anything because of the Island Boss' nicknames for things were different than what they actually were. And since I hadn't actually been at the hotel for very long, getting to know what everyone ordered or which ones were slow movers or not, I was bound to make mistakes.

While I was on my own, the banquet kitchen had asked me to pick up a few shifts to help them with the busy schedule. And right after, I was promptly banned from the kitchen because I missed some big items. So, after all the missed orders, and being yelled at and getting through a week completely on my own, I now have a better understanding about food cost, ordering and time management.

Tip for the Day: Always do your best and don't let anyone tell you, your best isn't good enough. And yes, of course there is always room for improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment