Monday, February 3, 2014

Support System


One thing that is so helpful when trying something new like Whole30 is to have a good support system and good resources. Through my research on the Whole30 it recommends making your goals public such as through social media like Facebook or writing them on a sticky note for all to see, Instagram or Twitter. Not only does it help make you accountable for sticking with your goal but also it is nice to have someone to cheer you on when it gets tough or to find and share recipes when you feel like you’ve eaten the same thing again and again.

I really wanted someone to share this experience with to be each others cheering section. Unfortunately there wasn’t anyone up to challenge to start cold turkey with me but it has worked out pretty well. Family members and friends have asked me for recipes and my favorite guy has gone back to his paleo routine and keeps me on track. Many people who I thought would be supportive and excited for me turned out to be many of the naysayers. On top of doing some intense book reading and web surfing I also took in some advice and wisdom from several colleagues who have already done the Whole30 and are a year or so into their paleo lifestyle. They have asked about my progression, been on top of catching me of eating something I shouldn’t, and cheered me on when I got frustrated.

Some of the best resources have been the detailed shopping and pantry lists. Reading several books to get the scientific aspects down and to understand the affects of certain foods on our system has given me a better understanding of why certain foods are omitted. Going grocery shopping with someone to help keep you on track helps save you money too. I used to think all the help books and downloads were silly, but in reality they can be the most helpful guides.

One thing that keeps me going is hearing the success stories and how others are fairing. I also find new recipes to try and get more words of wisdom to help me through my workouts and meals. A friend who has been an inspiration for my quest to healthy living directed me to her groups’ blog http://girlswhoclean.wordpress.com/ that follows their triumphs, hardships and inspirations. Their stories are part of my daily routine to remind me that I am not alone in my quest to become healthier.

If you’d like to see some more yummy recipes or need some ideas follow me on Instagram @ridiculousday

No comments:

Post a Comment