Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Whole 30 Day 2 Supportive Sources

Know your stuff!

The most irritating thing to me, are all the people who so quickly discredit paleo and primal lifestyles because of one article they have read or because they are bread lovers and do not agree with this particular lifestyle. These are also the most uneducated about paleo and do not look into the benefits or the causes of the negatives. They do not look at the science or what people are actually eating- it clearly must just be meat and vegetables, how do you live like that?! I admit I was skeptical at first and compared paleo to the Atkins diets and in some aspects they are similar. The important thing to remember is that everyone is different and different nutritional lifestyles work for all different body types. So it really benefits you to do your research and find out what works best for you!

One of the sources that was recommended to me that I have written about before, is the information dense It Starts With Food. This book breaks down the science of how food interacts with the body. This couple makes the science totally easy to understand and even has specific examples for particular aliments. They have even come out with an updated edition of their book that expands and accepts moderation of potato starch and salt for certain instances- continuing research!  It Starts With Food also comes complete with recipes for your Whole30.

If you have joined in the paleo lifestyle, you already know it is clearly more than just meat and vegetables that you are eating. I have used so many different proteins that I was unsure of how to cook before, liver, heart, lamb part, and developed an appreciation for a wide range of flavors. As a former culinary student and active member in the hospitality industry, I found myself regressing to the same flavors with no creativity because I figured there was only one way something could be made. I have been able to make several varieties of curries (from scratch!), I am able to differentiate certain spices that before just seemed to blend together into routine and my appreciation for food in general is much greater- I'm like Remey from Ratatouille. What really help get me started was the pantry lists from the Whole30 site. I did a lot of research on all the different spices, 'flours', fats and nuts to find out how they replaced, enhanced or interacted with food. To help with further variety I found Nom Nom Paleo who even has a section dedicated to Whole30.

All of these sources do talk about what works for them and how paleo has affected their lives. And these people are accountable and admit when something does not work. Like I said before you have to find what works for you- Hess and I eat the same meals but different foods affect me differently than they affect him.

Tip for the Day: Like in any situation, do your research. Have your facts to support your claims. I did the research and proved myself wrong :)

No comments:

Post a Comment