Sunday, July 18, 2010

Dear Manboys:

Dear Manboys of LCB-

I am one of those people who values my personal space, this may or may not come with the selective cases of OCD. But more importantly, I value my personal space especially if I don't know you and have given you NO indication that it is ok to come within my bubble. With the tight areas in the kitchen, I have come to grips that we will all be working in close proximity to each other. However, this still gives you no right to come into my bubble uninvited just because you feel like "it will better your chances of getting to know me". I am having to constantly mentally and physically cleanse myself from your creepiness.

I am here to learn, I have no intention of spending time with you outside of class. Do not patronize me and speak to me like a child. Or anyone else for that matter. I am not a dog, so don't pat me on the head and say, "Good job, Dani" when I cleaned a table, it's part of what we do in the kitchen, you should try it too. My name is not Sweetie, Girl or hey you, I have the poor judgment to call you by your name to your face so please use mine. Yes, I know how to use a computer. Brush your teeth. Just because you don't do your homework or know what you're doing does not mean that I also do not know what I'm doing. Thank you for your help but I am here to learn and make mistakes. And you reading me the instructions isn't really helping, we've established that I can read now.

Being nice or standing next to you does not mean I want to be your friend or date you, I'm just standing there or I really am just being nice. When you ask me what I am doing on the weekend or on my time off, please do not invite yourself or take it as an invitation, I'm responding to your question. Stalking my friends and I is a guaranteed result in a restraining order and the end of your budding chef's career when you lose fingers. You are also here to learn and we are paying someone a lot of money to teach us, not for others to recite the entire lecture back to you.

There are 7 women in our class. Disrespecting us is not in your best interest as many of us have proven. Many places may be male dominated, it makes what we accomplish more unique and in many cases, less cookie cutter. With places like the VQ, women are proving we are an incredible asset to the kitchen and to the culinary world. We are a growing force in this industry and so far in this program, we're on top and proving you wrong for putting us down. We know we have faults and we are all still learning. And in the kitchen we set aside our egos and chauvinistic crap. We get our stuff done, accept constructive criticism, and treat you with respect, so don't treat us like we're below you. If you admit that you are wrong, when you are, it helps the learning process (ladies too...).

Thanks.

Tip for the Day:
If you are eating food produced from our class I recommend eating food made by one of the women or the Carpenter. The majority of the others in the class do not wash their hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment