Thursday, September 30, 2010

Real Life is here...aka new full time j-o-b

It has been a while.

Time for some catch up!

After my wedding crashing hoorah, my first full week of work began. My new job title, lowly as it may sound, is the Receiving Clerk for the Portland Waterfront M. My boss, a Hawaiian born Filipino, who is as crazy as all of the other Filipinos that I know, loves her roots, is a dedicated family woman and according to most, never been happier than to have me working for her. She has been doing, her job as the Purchaser and my job stocking everything by herself. Though we are not the smallest people that work at the M, but we are very tiny people. Tiny people lifting 60 lb boxes and stocking things that even the tallest people have a hard time putting up on the shelf. What can I say, we're amazing.

My shifts start at 5am and since public transportation does not run that early, I have started riding my bike up and down the hills of Portland. Since, it was due for a tune up and the change in elevation did a number to the pressure in my tires, I thought it would be a good idea to ride it anyway. For two days I rode around with flat tires, peddling down hill. Big Blue (my bike) is now scheduled to have his tune up. I'm going to look like a midget body builder pretty soon. I was unaware that so much happened in the wee hours of the morning. And all of the people that I work with are so friendly and always say good morning. It has taken a few days but I think I have finally started saying good morning back.

I spend a lot of time in the walk-ins dating things, throwing product away, organizing and stocking and restocking. Something that most people have a hard time doing. If it's old, they think if they leave it there, it will go away. It's not my job to get rid of it, but I do...because health inspections are usually a surprise. Even though I stock everything as 'first in, first out' and making sure that the older product is more accessible than the new, these assholes will still dig for the best stuff, grab stuff from the back to get the newer stuff and not throw away boxes or trash when it's empty. I'm amazed that half the people that work in the food industry have jobs because we're on the good end of safety and sanitation.

My boss, the Island Boss, has me walk with her whenever she does orders, takes inventory and has me attend meetings. Essentially, I am learning the purchasing aspect for when she is away or unable to make an order. I am taking the Purchasing and Costing class and I am learning more at my job than at the thousands of dollars school that I am attending. I have even been able to cook and prep food in the kitchen. It's a good all around job.


But through it all, I really do enjoy my job. I am working hard, which is something that I didn't do a whole lot of in past jobs, not to say that I'm not a hard worker but because all of my past jobs were in my field, I was good at the things that I did in my comfort zone. Now, I'm not in my comfort zone so I have to work a little harder, but I'm still good at the things I do. 

Tip for the Day: There is such a thing as growing up. But most of us will still always be a kid at heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment