Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Recovery, Accountability & Lake Erie

After playing Villa de Danica for almost two weeks, I think I am finally in the recovery stage. A deep clean of my house was in need and now all that's left is to clean the ceiling. So, Villa de Danica is officially closed until the holidays.

Today in class we had our salad practical. About half way through someone found a pot of water on stove overflowing all over the stove, into the drip tray, behind the stoves and all over the floor. Someone had started filling their pot and left it and apparently forgot, thus creating Lake Erie all over the kitchen. I know there are a few people from class who do read this, so here's a recap. After someone found it and announced that it had overflowed, he left it there to finish his practical. Chef Cabbage asked the person who was responsible to take care of the mess. Silly me to think that someone would take accountability for their actions and clean up Lake Erie on their own.

After finishing my practical, I started to clean up our station. Dropping and running seems to be a nice theme of my classmates, once again. As I started to throw trays of uncleaned dishes into the dishwasher, I looked over to see the stack of dishes that people had just left. Frustrated by the fact that we are now 6 months through and into week 4 of this class people are still not cleaning up after themselves, I yelled something like, "You guys can't even clean your ----ing dishes on salad week?" It's not really that hard and you won't end up with a pile of dishes to do at the end. The comment was followed by Chef Cabbage making fun of the fact that I had said something about the dishes again.

I walked over to grab some dishes to put away and found Lake Erie still at its prime in the middle of the floor. A solid hour after it should have been cleaned up. Further frustrated by my inept, lazy and selfish classmates, I yelled some more profanities and went to grab a mop and bucket. Still needing to clean up my own mess, I began to mop up the water while having the rest of the class slosh through the water. "Seriously?" was all I could say. And they just looked at me with this annoyed look. Seriously? Several people came by and asked what I was doing. Seriously?

I aggressively but politely recruited another classmate to help me clean up the mess and it started to go by more quickly. We finished cleaning and I went to go and clean up the rest of my station. To put it bluntly, I was livid and wished karma would kick in at this person. Chef Cabbage came over and started to thank me for cleaning up. I told him it wasn't about being thanked, it is the fact that people in this class need to take accountability for their shit and clean it up. As I huffed and puffed and blew all my food into the compost, he told me to take a deep breathe. He said I was already upset about the dishes when I found the water and I should have left it at the dishes; done my good deed for the day and let someone else clean up the lake. I went for a walk.

Later I apologized for getting so mad. He told me I had a conscience.

Not that I need to be reminded of this, but classmates, you guys need to get it together. I'd be a pretty great dishwasher and so would 3 other people in the class because we're always the ones doing your dishes. It's a good thing I can multi-task. do your dishes, clean up your mess and get my own stuff done. It's a good thing I know who'll be getting a solid externship and job. One way thinkers don't do well in the kitchen...that's why we have trash collectors.

Tip for the Day: Once again, be accountable...jerks.

2 comments:

  1. You mean conscience not conscious. CC is right sometimes you don't need to carry everyone's water.

    Relax and be happy. Remember feelings are reflected on your food. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fixed! Yes, feelings do reflect my food. It was a good thing I was done already :)

    ReplyDelete