Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Whole30 Day 2 Shopping for the Goods

Prepping and shopping for the best ingredients as mentioned before is helpful and we've talked about shopping in other posts. One of the most helpful shopping lists that I have found comes directly from the Whole30 website. They provide your staples for the pantry and condiments and a seasonal break down of vegetables and fruits.

Part of the Whole30 recommends that you eat grass fed, lean meats and go for the organic fruits and vegetables. Other sources have said organic fruits and vegetables aren't necessarily a must. I have found that either way I am eating more fruits and vegetables on a regular basis organic or not anyway now. I do however try and purchase produce from the local farmers market- gets me out and about and helps support our local business.

The grass fed meats are sometimes more difficult to find at an affordable price. One helpful hint that E shared- check out the Manager's Specials bin in the meat section. I used to think "oh gross the meat is expiring and they want to sell it to people!" I never used to buy in bulk or keep things in the freezer besides ice, booze and ice cream. Now I will stock up on meat and store my prepped vegetables and fruits for the week. Stores like Safeway put certain meats on sale 30-50% depending on their sell buy date and since grass fed meats are pretty pricy there seems to always be a plethora to put on sale. Our recent find are grass fed sliders in a pack of four 50% off...and my freezer is now stocked to the brim and are so easy to defrost and make.

Even though the sell buy date may be a few days away, freeze that stuff and use it for your meal planning! Or if you find some beautiful marbled steaks grill those babies up that night! My brunch meal today- sliders, with grilled onions and pulled pork, fried egg, avocado, caveman ketchup on green leaf lettuce, check out my Instagram @ridiculousday for a delicious looking picture.

Tip of the Day: check out that Manager's Special meat section, and if you're feeling lucky befriend the people behind the meat counter to find out when they rotate out the meats for those deals...

No comments:

Post a Comment