Saturday, June 19, 2010

The Coat

So if you know where to look and who to talk to and how to dress, you can find some pretty sweet deals around town. First and foremost, The Coat. This a recent experience for me though I have heard stories from classmates and chefs.

The Coat I refer to is my uniform coat, it's white with that infamous blue ribbon and for some reason really makes you stand out in a crowd. Usually I have time to go home and change before I decide to go places; however, the other day some of us left straight from school to enjoy some doings in Portland. This meant, no change of clothes and The Coat was staying on.

As shallow as it sounds, The Coat is the best networking tool. We had the owners of the eaterys coming up to talk to us about our past, present and future doings. On the down side of The Coat, it's like it's the world's free up close and personal Food Network and Yellow Pages. We gave more advice on where to eat and places to go in town. While I was waiting outside of the Vd doughnuts I got tons of questions about the doughnuts. Apparently even though I don't work there or have any idea how to make doughnuts, The Coat gives people a false sense of knowledge about everything food. Helping people is always nice, but sometimes people seem like they are taking advantage more than anything.

Another day, I stopped by the grocery store on my way home from school to pick up some basics. Biggest mistake ever. Even with all of the free samples and good deals I get for being in culinary school, the grocery store is never a place to go in The Coat. I think that day, I helped at least 10 people plan their dinner menus and baking needs. I should have listened to Chef Shotgun. Chef Shotgun had mentioned the worst time to wear your coat is Thanksgiving. And after the grocery store experience I have no want to test his theory.

But like I said, networking and the free samples and helping people isn't all that bad. The Coat has it's ups and down but hopefully in the end, they'll see past the coat.

Tip for the Day:
Explore. It's really the only way to get to know your surroundings. It's also where you will find the best dive places and quirky hole in the wall eaterys that just may become your favorite!

No comments:

Post a Comment