Monday, June 28, 2010

Summer Break in Culinary School


Ah, the slowed pace of vacation has made me lazy.

I have now had to actually make myself food now that there is no class to satisfy my hunger. But I have at least been practicing the skills and techniques that I have learned, I mean isn't that what school's about? The lack of schedule has also allowed me to let my finger heal a bit since I'm not cutting or scrubbing anything. I probably should have gone to get stitches, but as it is too late now it is healing on it's own and I can almost start to bend it without hurting!

Since summer has started for LCB, it has been in the mid 70s and pulled me outside to our rooftop to enjoy the weather. Unfortunately, it has also caused me to fall asleep on my back and thus only tanning my front very VERY well. So now I look like a ying and a yang...The nice weather has also brought out some of the local crazies and fun goers! Last Saturday K Dub, Poho and I came across All the apparatus, a local band that performs in Pioneer Square. Full of energy and sometimes rotating members, they were fun to watch and dance to and I'm hoping to catch them again this weekend. Our local Sleeping Bag man seems to be minus a sleeping bag and a belt, and the Blue Man is as blue as ever.

Since it is break, most people have gone home for the week. I am actually staying to house sit for K Dub and hang out with Poho for the week. This should be interesting. Polo has managed to eat K Dub's last down comforter and she had to go buy a new one so I could sleep here. Objective as of 9:40am today: keep an eye on the comforter while Poho is around. So far so good, but you never know. Day 1 almost down, 6 more to go.

Tip for the day is being interchanged with Recipe of the day.
Recipe of the Day:
Pan-fry Eggplant


Eggplant
Seasoned All purpose(AP) flour
Egg wash
Panko
Oil for frying
Salt and Pepper

1. Cut eggplant into 1/2 rounds and season with S & P
2. Pass through flour, egg and panko.
3. Heat oil in saute pan. Make sure there is enough oil to go a little more than half way up the frying item to prevent a line in the middle.
4. Test oil. When it's ready, place rounds in oil and fry until golden brown and flip.
5. When ready, take out and place on paper towels. Slice in half and serve with your sauce or dip!

2 comments: