Friday, June 18, 2010

Keepin' it Clean


It has been a long and busy week and with finals quickly approaching it is bound to get busier. I'll start doing a better job of posting when things slow down a bit. As our second session comes to a close, we are FINALLY beginning to get a good groove for dishes and our schedules in general, this also includes life.

As you can see from the picture, I was still working on trying to keep up with my dish stack. Aside from LA (the guy at the end of the table), pictured is just about every pan that I used and parm polenta, with roasted Cornish Game hen, candied apples and sauteed broccoli. Keepin' it clean was something I finally mastered today. Our table aside from one person, was able to keep up with all of our dishes. And the kitchen was pretty darn clean today. The dishes is also an entire kitchen fiasco most of the time. So we'll get it hopefully by graduation.

I've also gotten to the point where I am finally getting my budgets together and my house in order, work schedules and figuring out more things to do around Portland. I have found several local places to shop for inexpensive groceries, sweet dive bars with some Wyoming friends and multiple trips to Voodoo. Money is still pretty tight so it helps that I am starting to get to know where to go for the good deals and even free stuff. My work schedule is still very random since I am still new but I have also recently discovered the Buffalo Exchange and the coat (I will explain this one, later).

Today I found out that Portland is one of the places where prostitution is NBD (no big deal). No don't worry, I'm not going to pimp myself out, that's a lot of work. Though this could be an option for income (!) it is more of just an interesting fact. This also explains the burritos and the strippers. For those of you who don't know, one of our new favorite places to eat is a burrito joint that happens to share a bathroom with the strip club next door. The burritos are that good. And as we found today, the strip clubs/brothels here in town are like the local grocery stores. Keepin' it clean=stay away from the grocery store clubs and don't be trashy in the kitchen.

Fact for the Day: Speaking of Cornish Game Hens, these are actually chickens...baby chickens. And trussing your birds before they go through a traumatic experience through an oven is the best way to cook them. Not only does it guarantee even cooking but it makes the bird hold it's shape well. Also don't forget to let 'em rest before you cut 'em up. They can only take so much trauma at a time...

No comments:

Post a Comment