Thursday, August 12, 2010

First the Puff, now the Chocolate

I respect the Puff, and now, I respect the Chocolate. This week we are finishing up our final week of Patisserie and Baking, THANK GOODNESS! Over the last six weeks I have decided that being a pastry chef is not in my future. Patience is key and I feel trapped in a box, in class there is limited time for creativity, for me at least. There is little repetition to apply what you have learned to new areas. Though I have learned a lot, this is an area that I am glad to know the basics. As time goes on, I will for surely add to my knowledge.

This week is candies. Truffles, sour candies, caramels, toffees, brittles. The last two days we have also tempered chocolate. Chocolate, unless it's in ice cream, is not one of my favorites. To temper chocolate takes a lot of patience. We had to do ours twice. It was constantly setting up on us, chocolate was on everything and we were just running out of time to get our products on the mirror. To prevent finger tipping we threw on gloves, making it a little harder to not get chocolate on everything and to stir things. Aside from the chocolate, everything else was easy to put together. There was so much effort put in to the chocolate that as much as I dislike chocolate now, I do, like the puff pastry, have a lot of respect for it's production.

Tip for the Day: When dealing with melting chocolate, have a designated outfit is always helpful. OxyClean is also a good thing to have on hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment