Monday, August 9, 2010

Wine Tasting in Oregon

Most of my wine tasting experience has been in California. Beautiful, hot, refreshing and always in good company. Wine tasting in Oregon is about the same, but the view is so much different and not very hot. It's hard to explain but it's almost brighter, more clear. Though part of our adventure took us through the dismal, burb area of Hillsboro it was still a lot of fun. Thank goodness we just passed through.

Now, just as a note, we did hit up the Garlic Festival right before our wine tour. And for the most part it was a good thing that we all did this activity together. Aside from the occasional burp, we were ok. We got to see elephant garlic in its many forms, ice cream, beer, pies, sticks, soap, you name it, it was probably there. Tip for the day: Do not consume copious amounts of garlic before wine tour and then talk about throwing up on said wine tour with a tummy full of garlic. Just a thought, but it does add to all the fun!

Our wine adventure took us to five vineyards, Apolloni, Shafer, David Hill, Patton Valley and Adridi, and on some great turn a rounds through the country. The weather was beautiful and we couldn't have asked for a better day. And though D Dub was driving, he was able to enjoy many pinots and our ridiculousness. By the end, we had tasted 12 too many Pinots and eaten an entire block of cheese. Our palate for pinots had blended them all together and we only tasted one Merlot in the whole day. We savored the difference and enjoyed so many variations. It was a good day, garlic, wine and good company.

To be fair to Oregon, they have some decent wines for the region. My companions on my trip had very different tastes compared to mine but this makes it all the more interesting. It was a great experience and I'm glad that my palate and opportunities give me a chance to taste so many different wines.  However, I have yet to find a wine from Oregon that I can say, "Oh my God that is amazing!" It's not to say that I haven't enjoyed most wines that I have tasted. Wine is an art and I would never tell an artist that his or her works was bad, but honesty is our best critique sometimes, so yours is just not my cup of tea. Being on the same latitude as southern France you would think that the wines would be similar in taste and for the most part they are, just have a little more added to them. They are unique to the area.

Again, the day was a success and I was glad that K Dub could enjoy some time with D Dub. So, if you come to visit, I know of some great places to go for tasty wines, beautiful sights and delicious foods. Until our next adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment