Saturday, August 28, 2010

The World is Not Fair, again.

One of the things that keeps me in school are the instructors. We've had Chef Shotgun, Chef Keep You on Your Toes, the Baker/Trainer Chef, and now we have a comical duo- Chef Bacon and Chef Cabbage. A lesson that I am constantly being reminded of is that the world is not fair. Not that I expect it to be.

In this final foundations class, we have weekly written exam, knife skillz tests and a black box practical. The black box is a random dish that we created during the week to make perfect for a test grade. For these black boxes, I am incredibly prepared. So if you miss a class and ask for my help, yes I will help you but carrying you is not my job. This last black box I did carry someone and got a dish that I excelled at during the week. This person, took parts of my prepared product, was constantly complaining on how things were different from the book (maybe if you showed up to class, you'd know what was going on) and scored better than I did and had to add in a comment, "Don't be mad at me because I do better than you". By the way, your welcome for the help ass.

After I got our grades back, I was upset. Rightly so. I work hard and made a beautiful plate that came easily to me to create. So instead of leaving me alone, this person tried to make a joke out of his better success and I told him not to talk to me, for his own safety you see. So what did his 12-yr-old self do? Went and told Chef Cabbage that I was in a bad mood and pissed because he had graded me unfairly.

Chef Cabbage (named because it rhymes) is one of the many chefs that I have started looking up to for his knowledge and advice. He called me over and asked me, "It's not fair is it?" He wanted to know why I was upset and I explained to him that I was by no means upset at him for his grading. Obviously there were things wrong with the plate and he knows what he is talking about. I was more upset at the fact that the definition of hard work is not met at the same standards by all. Chef Cabbage explained to me, the further along we get through the class and the program, the harder we're graded because they get to know us better. Of course, that makes sense. We're pushed. That's why we're here. And if it made me feel any better, from what he's seen, he'd hire me. Thank you for the ego boost and confidence for the weekend. And I appreciated him taking the time to find out why I was upset and try to help me figure it out.

This weekend was also Picnic Palooza for LCB. It is an annual get together outside of the city that Chef Shotgun puts together and cooks all the food. And it is very obvious that he looks forward to this every year. This year, our administration said, if less than 150 people show up, this will be the last year that they put this on. Life isn't fair. There are so many people who did not want to go because they thought it was stupid and to be honest, if I had not had a ride, I would not have gone. There was good food, and it was interesting to see everyone out of uniform, playing volleyball and chatting. And Chef Shotgun was disappointed when we headed out. We really were there for him. Life isn't fair when you work hard for something and are passionate about it and it goes by unappreciated. Hopefully we will have another picnic next year.

Tip for the Day: Wine helps ease the days woes. Everything in moderation. But so does comfort food. So the next time you need something to add to your comfort food, add on some Country Gravy:
2 slices chopped bacon
1 oz clarified butter
2 oz flour
1 pint whole milk
Dried thyme, sage, black pepper

Render bacon and butter. When crispy remove bacon and make a roux with the fat and flour.
Heat milk in separate pan with dried herbs to rehydrate.
When roux is ready let cool and temper in milk.
Whisk in tempered product into hot milk and reduce at least 25 minutes.
Serve on top of Southern Fried Chicken, Pan fry anything...

1 comment:

  1. I really appreciate and respect how honest you are in your stories of both your successes and your struggles. "Life/the world isn't fair" - i'm not sure there is a truer statement out there. I so enjoy reading about your adventures in this exciting new chapter in your life - I am so proud of you for going for it! And I would have to agree... few things are not made better for the addition of some homemade country gravy. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete