Monday, August 30, 2010

Beef- It's what's for Dinner

Foundations III is where we get all or at least most of our meat education. This week we are working on beef, lamb, pork and veal. Today we got fabricate a big chuck of beef. I was lucky enough to fabricate the harder of the three cuts and learned a lot. I was also lucky enough to work with another group today and get a feel for how other groups work together.

Meat can be a very expensive thing. And it is also a learned skill that can actually be pretty useful. As I learned today, there is a TV show that had groups of people try to fabricate a leg of beef. Only one group was able to do it. Obviously, not everyone is going to go on a TV show and have to fabricate some sort of meat, but the skill is nice to have to help save money.

During my undergrad I was so poor one year that I was involuntarily a vegetarian. I wasn't too upset about it, better diet, I felt better and less money was being spent. I still have a hard time eating pork but burgers and steaks are delicious! Now a days, I'm almost back to the poverty stricken college student, the difference now is that my tuition also pays for some of the produce like meat. The LCB diet is great. And now that we are able to break down different meat and know how to shop for the good pieces at a great price. So, this week we'll have to see how the plates turn out...

Working with another group, was amazing change. For the first time in a group, I didn't feel the need prove myself, I just felt like I was learning right along with everyone else. No one second guessed me, because we were all on equal groung. I also didn't feel the need to slap anyone in the face with some sort of product. But, I'm still willing to stick it out with the group I was given.

Tip for the Day: Marbling, or the fat throughout the meat, is a good thing. If you see a lot of marbling through a steak and the price is good and marked as Choice grade, buy it, enjoy it, savor the taste of quality at your Safeway price.

No comments:

Post a Comment