Saturday, May 22, 2010

Boneing a Chicken




After yesterday's debacle with the hollandaise sauce, I felt the need to cut something up. So after a slightly uncomfortable time at Henry's with some new friends, I wandered to Whole Foods (right next to P.F. Chang's...O.M.G. I found one). I love that store, that and Trader Joe's and Safeway. I found the meat section which it seems to house not only some of the most derishous looking fish, chicken and meat cuts, but also some of Portland's finest men, they were all very helpful.

The Chicken guys were who I really needed and after much deliberation I chose a 4lb chicken to take home. I told the Chicken Guy, "I'm going to debone her myself" and he laughed at me. I told him it was ok, I was practicing and he offered to do it for me if I couldn't. Well that sounds like a challenge. I also asked for chitlins, and they both laughed at me and told me to go to a Mexican market or a butcher place. So, I brought Evee (that's what I named her) on my 15 block hike home and stuck her in the fridge.

This morning I plopped her on the table and just stared at her. Then I remembered, I attend a culinary school, there has to be pictures and a chapter on poultry, and low and behold there was. In 28 minutes, I had Evee eighthed, skinned and the thighs and breasts deboned. All the bones are now just awaiting to be made into a stock. It was an amazing thing, I got to cut something up and it is going to be useful for pospas, stock, chicksalad. I feel very accomplished now and less stressed, huh the irony.

Tip for the Day: In the real world, always pay attention to your Cost Production and you're Yield Percentage. The percentage should always be 75% or better. This is to maximize costs and product.

4 comments: