Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Survival of the Fittest

Today was a Celebration of Star Wars, beef steak, completed paperwork for the new job, turned in our first project and tasting and critique of roasted chicken and poached chicken. More importantly, I have begun applying Natural Selection to my classmates, rather than thinking of their demise by means of my zester.

This is not the first occasion that I've heard of classmates asking others for "help" or "please do this for me". This was a first time I was approached and of course I said no. A simple project and your juvenile excuses about the lack of internet or you don't have time are beyond ridiculous. The world is based on the internet, if you can't find internet... But then I began to think, ha, you're not going to survive. We're paying tens of thousands of dollars to attend this institution in ADULT education, so far you're failing. There are quite a few people who are having a tough time with the basics and I do feel for them. I will actually HELP you, but I'm not fronting this much money to do everything for you and least of all do it twice.

Today's demo was a delish, moist variety of Lucy the Chicken. She taught me a lot about flavors and cooking methods. After everyone had gotten a chance to taste I heard one my "favorites" say "See all of those leftovers, those are all going on my plate" yet he hadn't eaten or critiqued what was still on his plate. I understand the desire to be a glutton, I know I am at times. But you're not learning when you're a glutton. This is one of the same people who will push people over to take anything that the Chef made home. What you can't try to make it yourself? Did you actually get a chance to appreciate the flavor profile? Did you taste anything past your greediness? Maybe you just want a bigger snack but you will not survive. You aren't learning because you're too lazy to do.

Survival of the Fittest. I am a survivor because my family taught me how to survive. They taught me the basics: where to find internet, to budget properly, to show people kindness even when you don't deserve it, to find the resources to succeed and survive. And I'm applying it all to what I already know. There are a few of us that will succeed because we want it and we know how to get it. Others will fail because they want it to be easy and help them through their midlife crisis. So good luck!

Tip for today: Cinnamon loves alcohol and hates all other liquid. When making things like french toast (tomorrow's breakfast) mix cinnamon with the vanilla to keep from clumping.

No comments:

Post a Comment