Thursday, January 8, 2015

Whole30 Day 10 Interesting Information


As I do more research regarding nutrition and exercise, I find myself watching more and more documentaries.

One of the first ones that I watched several years ago was Food Inc. a great look into industrial farming particularly poultry and livestock. This documentary actually made me not want to eat chicken for a long time; however, it had some great insight into the difference of commercial and free-range. I learned that industrial farming and ranching is also controlled not by the farmer himself but by larger corporations that actively attempt to drive small businesses and farmers out of business or to control them, while overlooking important aspects like safety and sanitation. It is one of the best ones I’ve seen.

Happy is one that Coach recommended about the same time and looks into what makes people happy. Looking at people’s daily lives, occupation and their stories. Happiness is viewed as something to be measured and how different people achieve it. When you exercise, endorphins are released within the brain and nervous system that activate the body’s opiate receptors and thus making you happy! Afterwards, I definitely took a step back in my life and looked at the things that made me happy and that I valued. I realized that no matter how frustrating my life may seem, there are people who do not have as much as I do and are satisfied and happy with their lives.

Recently, I watched Hungry for Change which looks into certain individuals lifestyles and how changing their diets and focusing on what they were putting into their mouths improved their lives and aliments they were suffering. The most important thing that I took away from this documentary, is instead of saying “I can’t have this” we should work to say “I don’t want this” in regards to consumption. Something I need to keep in mind while I try to put my snacking beast to rest!

Supersize Me will also be one that stuck in my head and eat significantly less fast food. A few others on my list to watch and finish watching are:
Food Matters: looks at how food can help or hurt us with interviews from nutritionists, naturopaths, doctors and journalists.
Forks Over Knives: investigates the claim that most diseases can be controlled or fixed by reevaluating the animal-based and processed food menus that plague our daily lives.

There are so many great documentaries not regarding food and just as educational. Totally off topic, I am in the middle of Virunga a documentary following the lives of the park rangers that reside in the Congo to protect the world’s mountain gorillas.

Tip for the Day: I am always looking for information to share with people who are interested in the same topics. If you have fun facts about food, travel or useless information, I’d like to hear it! Great conversation starters and these documentaries are always something to talk about!

No comments:

Post a Comment