Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Whole30 Day 13 Double Dinner Dates

My dad has been asking me to start putting up more restaurant reviews since most of my pictures are of food and the places I venture to in Ptown (yes, I'm that person but I never let my food get cold). Recently Hess and I have been wrangling our friends into eating with us. So this is a later post of our food adventure and review of Ox that we went with my fellow foodie co worker and his fiance.

Argentinean inspired, deliciousness and so paleo friendly! We started with a taste of butternut squash soup, a creamy, warm sip of flavors.

My buddy drank his way through Ox's unique cocktail menu while Hess and I shared a bottle of wine. Our appetizer was something that I had my eye on since I had seen their menu months prior. Smoked Beef Tongue en Vinagreta with horseradish, ensalada Rusa with sweetbread croutons. This was the one unique dish we all agreed on trying and it was amazing. Ewww tongue you say? It was like eating beef tar tar, a perfect salad and the sweetbreads were so crispy. I typically eat horseradish with my beef but this charcuterie did not even need it.

The way that Ox is set up is a bit like a Morton's or any other typical steak house where the entrees and the sides are separate. Our friends ended up getting the Asado Agrentino for 2 (I tried for a while to get Hess and I to split this). This was a perfect intro for what Ox has to offer, a little bit of everything with the sides included. grilled short rib, house chorizo and Morcilla sausages, skirt steak, sweetbreads, fried potatoes and green salad. Literally a smorsgaboard of protein with so much flavor and aromas that it was a little overwhelming even to look at. For the price of this meal the asado Agrentino was a great deal.

Hess and I opted for just a small or what we thought would be small portions of each to share. I went with the small portion of beef shirt steak and Hess debated between the house chorizo and the house morcilla (blood sausage) finally settling on the chorizo. All of the proteins are served with bread (that smelled delicious) and chimichurri, we went through multiple bowls of this delicious sauce!

We also chose the roasted broccolini, charred poblano romesco, toasted pecans and pickled red onions and the caramelized cauliflower, spicy golden raisin vinaigrette with mint and roasted peanuts. It was so much food but then our server brought out the dessert menu...

We had no choice. So we all decided to get a dessert hoping that we would all get something different to share and taste and we ended up getting the same- 2 orders of the Custard: cream cheese panna cotta, caramelized apple with chantilly cream and milk glazed apple fritters (not paleo but totally worth the slight tummy ache later) and 2 orders of the Chocolate: bittersweet chocolate-olive oil cake, fudge sauce, peppermint ice cream and molasses anglaise (again not paleo but totally worth it).

The service was great, water glasses were always full, they cleared dishes promptly and even came by to clear crumbs. 3 hours of great company, amazing food and a place checked off my list.

Tip of the Day: Most cities have the top 50 places or top however many places or things to do. Ptown just released their top 35 places to eat and this year I am trying to get to all of them. Find out the most popular or top places to check out for some new foods and places! Make it a date night, girls night out or a family outing!

No comments:

Post a Comment